SPX: We Were There

September 15th, 2010 by Dan Nadel

Last weekend was the annual gathering of the tribes in Bethesda, MD. We comics vendors set up tables and booths and bars and sold our product to a ravenous public. More or less. But really it’s more like a wonky family reunion…

One side of the table

Other side of the table.

Are you bored yet? Hold on! Check out relative sizes of the books! Look at all that neeeewwww product I previewed! H Day! My New New York Diary, Monster! Heads, 44! Look at how heavy and thick If ‘n Oof is:

And now imagine my delight as kind strangers leaf through copies of H Day:

OK, moving on… there was a fun dinner! Here’s Frank Santoro busting up Monster cohorts Brian Ralph and Paul Lyons…

As Tom Devlin and Tim Hodler look on alarmed…

There were also “serious” moments, like when Jaime Hernandez correctly identified various inkers for Frank, and Frank wept in supplication. May I add that Jaime is a national treasure? One of the top 5 greatest living cartoonists? Yes, I think I may.

After a couple night that kinda looked like this:

I caught a ride home with Tim H. and Lauren Weinstein. Along for the ride were Tim and Lauren’s adorable daughter Ramona (she of the perfect giggle and heart-stopping two-tooth smile), their big doggy Dr. Buddy, my small doggy Mr. Fatty Pants. Here’s Lauren watching over the brood.

And now I’m back. Gotta go scan some stuff now. Bye!

back to PBox World

↓ 13 Comments

1. Paul says:

….Heads? Is that a new Mat Brinkman comic/art book next to Will Sweeney`s As Above So Below? When is it coming out ?

2. Dan Nadel says:

Yep, that is “Heads, 44″ by Brinkman. It’s an 88 page, 11 x 17 artists’ book. Black ink on velum, edition of 1000, only 700 available. It’ll go on sale in about a week.

3. Paul says:

Hey, thanks!!

4. Brynocki C says:

Brinkman’s got an opening of lot’s of drawings Saturday night(sep 18) in NYC at TheHoleNYC. New gallery. Brinkman will be there doing his new, well practiced tapdancing routine. You going Nadel? J and I are en route.

SPX. I’m sad I missed it, yet I’m not so sad I missed it.

5. Dan Nadel says:

He sure does. I will not be there, unfortunately — I’ll be in L.A. working.

6. Brynocki C says:

But Brinkman told me all those drawings are of your face! You have to be there!

7. danny says:

what happens to the other 300 brinkman books? I wanna see some proof, that they are destroyed!

8. I’m fully drooling over this sweet new stuff. Did Kathy publish that Heads book? I gotta get some for the shoppe.

9. Dan Nadel says:

I published the Heads books. It’s available from PictureBox.

10. Sean says:

Will the MONSTER book be available on the PictureBox site? If not, will it be anywhere?

11. Sean says:

Nevermind. I did a simple search and have since bought one. Thanks.

12. That’s great that we can receive the loans and it opens up new possibilities.

13. Habirus says:

I would like to exchange links with your site http://www.pictureboxinc.com
    Is this possible?

PBox World

This blog is going to take you to school. You will learn about all things PictureBox: old dudes; obscure design; good painting; bad painting; dogs; annoying product endorsements. And so forth. All from me, Dan Nadel, your PictureBox host.

Puke Force